Master of Science in Nursing in Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Online
Prepare to help children and their families achieve their optimal physical, social and emotional development. This primary care program promotes leadership and research in pediatric preventative care and disease management.
Discover the UTA online MSN - Pediatric Nurse Practitioner program
The MSN in Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (PNP-PC) online program at UTA is designed for nurses who are dedicated to providing expert, evidence-based care for children from birth to 21 years of age. This graduate nursing program prepares the pediatric nurse practitioner to provide leadership and promote research in the development of healthcare services for children across the primary care continuum, from preventative care to disease treatment. The PNP-PC is equipped to meet the needs of pediatric patients and their families at whichever point the patient enters the healthcare system.
Coursework includes the role of the nurse in advanced practice, advanced health assessment, primary complex chronicity, and pediatric primary care clinical practice, as well as an advanced clinical nursing practicum.
The UTA MSN in Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner online program includes these key elements:
- Develops skills to provide pediatric care and case management for patients in ambulatory settings, acute and chronically ill community settings, acute care facilities, and extended care facilities
- Hones the ability to use research and theoretical principles in the management and quality improvement of healthcare delivery and clinical outcomes
- Promotes skills to develop collaborative relationships with community agencies concerned with health problems related to economic, psychosocial, cultural and environmental factors in the quality improvement of healthcare delivery to the pediatric population
The UTA Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner program was one of the first of its kind in Texas and has prepared hundreds of nurses to work with children across all spectrums of healthcare. This quality program produces highly employable pediatric primary care nurse practitioners.
Graduates of the PNP-PC online program are eligible to be licensed as advanced practice nurses by the Texas Board of Nursing and to take Pediatric Nurse Practitioner National Certification Exams offered by National Certification Board of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners and Nurses (NCBPNP/N) and American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
The CCNE-accredited MSN in Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner program can lead to expanded roles in clinical settings such as:
- Pediatric Primary Care Clinic
- School Based Clinics
- Palliative Care Settings
- Pediatric Primary Care Clinic
- School Based Clinics
- Palliative Care Settings
The clinical requirements included in the MSN in Pediatric Primary NP program at UTA are intended to provide students with experiential learning opportunities to enable them to transition successfully into the role of the nurse practitioner. An essential part of each clinical experience is active, hands-on practice, guided by a licensed preceptor with expertise in their advanced nursing practice specialty.
Clinical placement at The University of Texas at Arlington in the graduate nursing department is a collaborative process with each student. Students are asked to locate a preceptor which is aligned with their program requirements; however, the Graduate Nursing Department will provide assistance with clinical placement when a student is experiencing difficulty. Clinical placement policies are available in the Graduate Nursing clinical management system, Exxat, and are available to all students upon admission.
Due to the rigorous nature of the graduate nursing program and the time commitment of the coursework and clinical, students can expect to spend a significant amount of time studying and preparing required assignments. Generally, a student will be expected to spend 5 hours per week outside the class room for every 1 credit hour of the course. This means a 3 credit-hour class would require approximately 15 hours per week of student study time. Given this, it is strongly recommended that accepted applicants limit work schedules to keep up with the academic rigor of the program.
Residents of certain states may not be eligible to enroll in all UTA accelerated online programs. See program map for details. Currently enrolled students who reside in ineligible states will need approval to continue uninterrupted in their programs in accordance with applicable state laws. Approval is not guaranteed.
UTA offers a wide variety of nursing programs online. Check out all of our online nursing programs.
Not looking for an online program?We also offer this program on campus!
The baccalaureate, master's and Doctor of Nursing Practice degree programs and the post-graduate APRN certificate program in the College of Nursing and Health Innovation at The University of Texas at Arlington are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
Experience the value of our affordable online nursing program
The University of Texas at Arlington is committed to providing students with a quality, affordable education. That's why this online program offers pay-by-the course options.
To determine the cost of additional course materials
required, check with the
Important dates for our online MSN students
The MSN in Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner online program offers multiple start dates to accommodate your professional and personal schedule.
|8-week courses||Program Start Date||Application Deadline||Document Deadline||Payment Due|
Ready to take the next steps towards earning your next degree?
Follow our streamlined admission requirements for the online MSN - Pediatric Nurse Practitioner program
The College of Nursing and Health Innovation admission process is the first step toward changing your life and enriching the lives of others. Familiarize yourself with these admission requirements, along with information on required documentation.
- Online application
- Official transcripts
- Active RN license
Online Admission Requirements
- An unencumbered RN license
- GRE not required for students with a 3.0 GPA or higher
- Completion of all prerequisites, including: Bachelor of Science with a major in Nursing from ACEN- or CCNE-accredited program.
- Undergraduate (basic) statistics course with a minimum grade of "C"
- Probationary admission for students taking the GRE. GRE required for applicants with a 2.8-2.99 GPA with minimum score of 149 on the verbal section, 141 on the quantitative section, or 3.5 on the analytical writing section (best 2 of 3 sections)
- International students are required to have a TSE score of 40 or higher. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam is required if the applicant's native or first language is not English and if he or she does not hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. institution. TOEFL score requirement includes minimum of 550 on paper-based test, 213 on computer-based test, or 79 on the internet-based test, and achieve the following minimum scores of subtests: Writing, 22; Speaking, 21; Reading, 20; and Listening, 16; or IELTS minimum score of 7.0
Visit Graduate Nursing Advising for a list of AO Graduate advisors.
The maximum amount of credit that may transfer from another university is 10 semester hours. The syllabus for the course(s) you wish to transfer will need to be reviewed. You must apply before we can review your syllabus.
Have a question? Call us at 866-489-2810.
Learn more about our admission requirements, review the nursing handbook and policies, and discover tips for success on the UTA College of Nursing and Health Innovation (CONHI) page.
Advance your knowledge in these online healthcare classes
The following courses are required to complete the MSN in Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner online program.
* Per-course tuition based on 3 credit-hour courses.
Request More Information
Submit this form, and an Enrollment Specialist will contact you to answer your questions.
Ready to Begin?
Start your application today!